While being on the way to the cottage, we received a farm rabbit as a present. It was my first time tasting a rabbit, so I followed the cook until I learned all the know-how.
Farm rabbit is delicious and very soft, there aren’t many tricks for preparation, it’s wonderful already. Just if you marinate it over the night, it gets even better.
We wanted go for a game meat taste, so we used forest berries and garden herbs for the marinade. And enriched with vegetables, carrots and potatoes; which tasted adorable cooked in rabbit sauce.
- Medium sized farm rabbit
- 6-7 dried rosehip
- Black pepper
- Sage, rosemary, bay leaves (fresh, if possible)
- A couple of table spoons of olive oil and butter
- 7-8 small carrots
- 7-8 shallots
- About 1 kilo of small potatoes
- Salt, crashed red pepper
- Chives or spring onion
Forest Style Roasted Rabbit Recipe
- From the evening or at least several hours before, lay the rabbit to a non-corrosive baking dish with a lid.
- Season with salt, add olive oil and cover with crashed pepper. Coat with sage, rosemary, bay leaves, rosehip, black pepper and add cubed butter. Leave the rabbit on the marinade.
- Before cooking, peel the onions and carrots, clean the potatoes. Place them around the rabbit.
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees; bake the rabbit with the lid on for an hour until tender and lightly browned.
- Then remove the lid, leave the rabbit on 150 degrees until it’s roasted
- Serve with chives or spring onions.